Skip to main content

3 Books That Exceeded My Expectations - The Bloggers League

As a bookworm, I've read a bunch of wonderful novels, but a few of them have left an everlasting impression on me. When I talk about my favorite books, I don't mean that they were perfect five-star reads for me; rather, their plots, characters, and other aspects, as well as their flaws, left an inexplicable mark on my mind and soul. I'm going to share three of them with you now:

1. Ten Thousand Doors of January

".......novels are untrustworthy advisors. They aren't concerned with rationality or sobriety; they peddle in tragedy and suspense, in chaos and rule breaking, in madness and heartache, and they'll steer you toward such things with all guile of a piper luring rats into a river ". 

To be honest I got this book for myself just because of its cover, I mean like look at the cover how can't you fall in love with it? Even when I started the book, I wasn't sure that I'll love this but as I went through the story & even before I reached the half of the book, I was totally immersed into it. The book surpassed my expectations with its amazing world building details, twists, and turns. Set in 1900s the book also discusses about racism and prejudice and how powerful rich white men think as if they own the world. 

The main thing that made this book standout for me was that even though January is the protagonist, the focus of the story is the adventurous love life of her parents. Also, the side character of Jane is so badass and beautifully written. I know this book has so many mixed reviews but personally for me this was the best read of 2021 and will always be among my favorites.

"A real man is one who cries without shame, reads poetry with his heart, feels opera in his soul, and does what's necessary to defend a woman"

Kya Clark "The Marsh Girl" who was abandoned by her family, unfit for society and living alone in the wild becomes a naturalist with just one day of school, taking her lessons from nature, land and learns the working of real world from the dishonest signal of fireflies. Meanwhile even though she has the skills to live in solitude, she deserves to be loved. Two men gets drawn to her wild beauty and while figuring out something unthinkable happens and now Kya's life, achievements, and everything she went through to reach this point is at stake.

This book simply exceeded all my expectations and is really one of the most powerful age-of-the-coming novels. The character Kya and her development through the whole book is so inspiring and the whole plot simply takes you on a different level of emotional roller-coaster ride. The relationship between Tate and Kya was heartbreaking at many points. At last, the ending when Kya gets to re united with the member of her family who she adored the most before she was left alone was the point where no matter how hard you try to resist your feelings, you're going to sob.

"Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive, and will come forth later, in uglier ways"

The plot revolves around Alicia Berenson who is a famous painter and is married to an in-demand photographer. She lives in a grand house in London's, one of the most desirable areas, and everything in her life goes smoothly until one day when her husband Gabriel returns from work, and she shoots him five times in face and never speaks again. 
P.C. - Kavana Anklekar Blog


Theo Faber, who is a criminal psychotherapist, is waiting to work with Alicia and is determined to make her speak. His determination to make her speak and unravel the mystery of why she shot her husband takes him down to a twisting path of his own motivation, a search for truth that threatens to consume him. 

The writer has done such a fabulous job of plotting the story in a way such that while reading the whole book, the solution to the mystery stays right in front of you but still you won't be able to figure out and then in end Boom!!! you realize that the whole thing was in front of you, but you were so immensely drowned in the story building that your mind didn't notice that thing.

Finally, I'm really looking forward to reading more with the hope that they'll also get added to this list and will get more chances to share these with you guys. Thank you so much for sticking till the end.

By the way, what's your favorite book(s)? Tell me the comment section :)

Disclaimer: This article is written as a part of The Bloggers League conducted by Vidhya Thakkar Neelam Sharma and Siddhi Palande powered by Penguin IndiaDreamland Publications and Acclidesign should not be repurposed, republished, or used otherwise. The content herein is owned by the blogger. Hosts are not responsible for any infringement caused.”

Comments


  1. the silent patient is very interesting. For now, if you ask me a book which blasted my brain, I will tell "Wish I could tell you"

    ReplyDelete
  2. These seem to be great books. Havent read any of these yet...adding them to my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read The Silent Patient and loved it. Other two in tbr

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Silent Patient is one of my top priority reading it after exams next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved the silent patient!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From this list, the silent patient is in my wishlist. Thank you for sharing this. Will look the other two as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These have been on my TBR for long. J think it's time I pick them up.
    - sindhu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggles of Being a Bookstagrammer - The Bloggers League 2022

There is a dark side to every beautiful thing! Being a bookstagrammer has a lot of advantages, including being able to talk about books, get book recommendations, connect with your favorite authors, participate in readathons, reading challenges, and giveaways, make friends without feeling like a nerd, show off your book collection without being teased for being boring, and much more. To clarify, a bookstagram refers to an Instagram account whose contents revolve around books. However, there are numerous difficulties that a bookstagrammer faces in managing their account and in their daily lives. There are some people who are dedicatedly doing this job but most of this population have jobs, studies and families to take along besides running the bookstagram account. Here are a few of the most typical issues that every bookstagrammer encounters in Behind the Scenes of Bookstagram: Time Management - When you see a post, you might believe that the photo was snapped impulsively, or that the